SNAP / Food Assistance


Get an Application

Pick up an application at the Phillips County Department of Human Services (DHS), or download the application by clicking on the appropriate button to the right. You can have an application mailed or faxed to you, or click HERE and apply online.

Applications are in Adobe Acrobat Reader.pdf format. You need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader to access these forms.
Download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader

Please call the DHS office at 970-854-2280 if you need assistance.

127 East Denver Street      Office Hours:
Holyoke, CO 80734            Monday - Friday
                                        8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Fill Out the Application

Please fill out as much of the application as you can. If you need help or don't understand a question, a staff member can help you complete your application.

To start the process, put your name and street address on the application and sign it.

Return the application to the Phillips County DHS office or submit via PEAK.

Bring, mail or fax (970-854-3637) your completed application to the DHS.


Make an Appointment for an Interview

Make an appointment for an interview at the SNAP Office when you return the application.

In some cases, the SNAP worker will interview you the same day you return your application.

If you return your application by mail, the food assistance office will contact you to schedule an appointment.

Your appointment may be conducted in person or over the telephone.

To save time and to help the process go faster, please bring all the necessary paperwork with you.

Examples of verification that you might need to bring to your interview:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Drivers License
  • Child Support - court order or cancelled checks
  • Pay Stubs
  • Unemployment Compensation
  • Pensions
  • Letter from Social Security, Veteran's Assistance
  • Child Care Expenses - cancelled checks
  • Medical Bills that you pay (if 60 years or older or disabled)

The Interview

If you have an office interview, bring your verification with you to the interview. You keep the originals and the SNAP worker will make copies.

If you have a telephone interview, your worker will explain how you can submit your documents. An eligibility worker will also tell you if any additional information is needed.

After your interview, you will receive a notice in the mail regarding your eligibility.


If You are Eligible

You will get a notice that will explain how many months you can get SNAP benefits and the amount of food assistance for which you are eligible.

Every month you are eligible, your SNAP benefits will be deposited into an account. You will be issued an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card called an ebtEDGE card. You will create your own personal identification number (PIN) to access this account. This card acts as a debit card and can be used in any grocery store or retail location anywhere in the United States that has been authorized by the USDA and displays the EBT logo.

Visit the Nutrition.gov website for more information on nutrition, meal planning and smart shopping.

If You are Not Eligible

If you are not eligible for SNAP benefits, you will receive a notice that explains why. If you think you are eligible, call or visit the DHS office. If you feel you have been denied incorrectly, you may request a Fair Hearing. It does not cost any money to request a Fair Hearing.


Visit USDA Food & Nutrition Service for information on your rights and to view  USDA Non-Discrimination Statement 


SNAP benefits can be used to buy most foods but may not be used to purchase food that can be eaten in the store or hot foods.
Also you may not purchase any nonfood items, such as:

  • Beer, wine, liquor
  • cigarettes, tobacco products
  • Pet foods
  • Soaps, paper products, household supplies
  • Vitamins, medicines