Marriage Licenses & Certificates

marriage photo

In accordance with the requirements below, a license to marry in Colorado may be obtained in the Office of the Phillips County Clerk and Recorder, located in the Phillips County Courthouse, Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (except holidays). The license is valid upon receipt, and must be used within 35 days anywhere within the State of Colorado. The signed license must be returned to the issuing county for recording within 63 days of issuance. There is a $30 fee required, cash or check. Credit cards will not be accepted. A license issued by another state is not valid in Colorado.


AGE: The requirements for the bride and groom are the same.

  • 18 and older – No parental consent is required.
  • 16 and 17 – Consent of both parents, or the parent having sole legal custody, or guardian, or judicial approval is required. If one or both parents cannot appear at the time of applying, an absentee application may be completed and notarized ahead of time.
  • Under 16 – Consent of both parents, or the parent who has legal custody or with whom the child is living and judicial approval (court order) are required.The court order must be obtained in the county where judicial approval has been granted.

PROOF OF DATE OF BIRTH MUST BE PROVIDED BY BOTH PARTIES: Example: valid State driver’s license, birth certificate, passport, military identification, or valid State Identification Card.

PREVIOUS MARRIAGE: If either party has previously been married: the date, place, and court in which the marriage was dissolved or declared invalid or the date and place of death of the former spouse will need to be provided. Divorce must be final prior to entering into another marriage. Some states have a waiting period.Although proof will not be required, the couple will be required to swear under oath that all information given is true and correct.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Both of your parents full names, mother’s maiden name, and their present residence addresses, city and state, if living. Social security number will need to be proved by both parties.

BLOOD TEST: As of July 1, 1989, blood tests are not required for either party in the State of Colorado.

PROHIBITED MARRIAGES: A couple may not marry when one of the parties is still married to another person. Marriage between ancestor and descendant (e.g., uncle and niece) or brother and sister, whether the relationship is by half or whole blood, is prohibited. Marriage between cousins is permitted in Colorado. (See 14-2-110, Colorado Revised Statutes, for additional information).

APPLICATION: Both the bride and the groom must complete and sign the Application for Marriage License form and provide ID and a social security card. At least one of the parties must apply in person before the marriage clerk. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she must complete and sign an Absentee Affidavit - Application, which may also be obtained from our office, which requires a notarized signature. The party applying must bring the absentee application along with identification for the absent party. A couple already married, who wish to renew their marriage vows, or those who have a common law marriage may obtain an Affidavit of Common Law Marriage stating that they are married to each other. Applicants for a marriage license do not need to be Colorado residents. Those seeking a civil union can find the application form here: Application for Civil Union License.


  • Judge
  • Court Magistrate
  • Bride and Groom
  • Other public official authorized to perform marriages or in accordance with any mode or solemnization recognized by a religious denomination or Indian tribe or nation.

If the bride and groom choose to perform their own ceremony, they must complete the lower portion of the marriage license and sign as bride and groom as well as parties to the marriage. The type of ceremony and words exchanged (if any) are their choice.