Commercial Driver's License

commercial drivers license

The fee to obtain a Colorado CDL is $35.
If you also have a motorcycle endorsement, the fee is $37.
CDLs are valid for 4 years.

Helpful Links:

To obtain a Colorado Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) you will need the following:  

  • Valid Colorado commercial driver’s license/permit or valid CDL from another state
  • Current DOT (medical) card
  • CDL driving skills test completion form dated within 60 days if you are turning your permit into a CDL
  • If you have a HAZMAT endorsement, you will need to take the written test and pass a TSA background check before renewing your CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Proof of current residential address (utility bill, bank statement, pay stub, credit card statement, rent receipt, mortgage statement, fishing license or other item with your name and address that can be reviewed by driver's license personnel)

Commercial Vehicles:
  • Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more,
  • That transports quantities of hazardous materials that require warning placards under Department of Transportation regulations
  • That is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.

Exempt Vehicles:

  • Recreation vehicles used for recreational purposes.
  • Military vehicles driven by military personnel.
  • Firefighting equipment.
  • Emergency Snow Plowing during emergency snow removal operations.
  • Farm vehicle when controlled and operated by a farmer within 150 miles of the person's farm.